Research: Gaining excess weight during pregnancy is risky, there can be a risk of heart problems and diabetes.
Excess Weight During Pregnancy is risky
Gaining excess weight during pregnancy puts pregnant women at greater risk of death from heart disease or diabetes. A study published in the journal ‘The Lancet’ Study This claim has been made in.
Researchers said that the risk of mortality was seen to be higher in all the groups studied based on weight. Based on weight, these groups were women who were underweight before pregnancy, women of normal weight or women who were overweight.
They analyzed 50 years of data from more than 45,000 US women, including their body mass index (BMI) and weight fluctuations during pregnancy.
The study, led by researchers at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, found no increased risk in women who were obese before becoming pregnant.
“We show that weight gain during pregnancy within current guidelines may protect against potential negative effects later in life, and may have short-term benefits for both maternal health and baby’s health,” said lead study author Stephanie Hinkle. based on evidence”
Hinkle was apparently referring to pregnancy guidelines from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), according to which underweight women should not gain more than 12.5-18 kg, while obese women should not gain more than 5.10 kg. Should not increase.
Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about gaining excess weight during pregnancy:
- Why is weight gain during pregnancy important? Weight gain is essential for a healthy pregnancy because it supports the growth and development of the baby and helps prepare your body for childbirth and breastfeeding.
- What is considered normal weight gain during pregnancy? On average, most women are advised to gain between 25 to 35 pounds during pregnancy. However, the recommended amount may vary based on your pre-pregnancy weight.
- What causes excessive weight gain during pregnancy? Excessive weight gain can result from factors like overeating, lack of physical activity, genetic predisposition, or medical conditions. Emotional factors may also contribute.
- Is it common to gain excess weight during pregnancy? Some degree of weight gain is expected, but gaining too much weight is a concern for both the mother and the baby. It’s important to manage weight gain within recommended limits.
- What are the risks associated with gaining too much weight during pregnancy? Excessive weight gain can lead to complications such as gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, and a higher risk of cesarean section. It can also make postpartum weight loss more challenging.
- How can I prevent excessive weight gain during pregnancy? You can manage your weight by maintaining a balanced diet, staying physically active, and following your healthcare provider’s guidelines. Regular prenatal check-ups are essential.
- Can I lose weight during pregnancy if I’ve gained too much? Losing weight during pregnancy is generally not recommended. Instead, focus on making healthier choices to manage your weight gain more effectively.
- Are there any specific dietary guidelines for controlling weight gain during pregnancy? Your healthcare provider can help create a personalized plan, but typically, it involves consuming nutrient-dense foods, watching portion sizes, and avoiding empty calories.
- How does excessive weight gain affect the baby’s health? Excessive weight gain can increase the risk of the baby being born with a higher birth weight, which can lead to complications during delivery and potential health issues for the baby.
- Is it possible to lose excess pregnancy weight postpartum? Yes, it’s possible to lose excess weight gained during pregnancy after giving birth. A combination of healthy eating, physical activity, and patience is key to achieving this goal.
- What support is available for women struggling with excess weight gain during pregnancy? Pregnant women can seek support from healthcare providers, registered dietitians, and support groups. It’s essential to communicate your concerns and challenges with your healthcare team.
- Is there a healthy way to manage cravings during pregnancy to avoid excessive weight gain? It’s normal to have cravings during pregnancy. The key is to satisfy them in moderation and opt for healthier alternatives when possible.
Always consult with your healthcare provider for personalized advice and guidance on managing weight gain during pregnancy, as individual circumstances may vary.